The purpose of the Council shall be:
1. To give visible expression to the unity of all Christian believers and congregations, of whatever tradition and denomination, who confess that Jesus Christ is the Saviour and Lord of humanity according to the Scriptures.
2. To provide a channel or agency for co-operation in fellowship, study, worship, service, and witness activities related to the Capital area.
3. To give leadership to the increasing area-wide Christian co-operation in all those areas of concern which do not require independent denominational, regional or congregational action.
4. To serve as liaison of the Capital area Christian community to such community organizations (governmental or non-governmental) as may request or welcome such a relationship.
5. To serve as a channel for Christian concerns, locally relevant, arising from the wider Christian community and its provincial, national, and international bodies.
6. To assume responsibilities arising from the geographic proximity of the Capital area churches to the seat of federal government.
7. To provide a channel of communication and liaison in inter-faith matters with other religious bodies in the Capital area.
8. To seek full and equitable representations and participation of all Christian groups in the Capital area, as stated in Article II.